Friday 20 May 2005

SHF 8: Apricot Lime Cake

Almost didn't make it to this month's Sugar High Friday which is in its 8th edition. I had to email Jennifer of The Domestic Goddess and only found out last Wednesday that this is happening today 20th May and theme is Citrus hosted by Alice of Breadbox. Yikes! I got only 2 days to think of something to do. Good thing I bought the latest Delicious magazine June 2005 issue and there in the last few pages was a cake recipe that piqued my interest. I adapted the said recipe and voila! Here is my entry.

Actually, my previous post of Citrus Trifle would have been perfect. But, oh well, I already posted it here a month ago so had to find another. Since time was of the essence or rather not enough of it, a simple straightforward recipe would be the best answer. And this one did not disappoint at all despite its ease and simplicity of ingredients. Actually I was amazed with the aroma and marvellous blend of taste of the lime and the flour/oil/sugar/apricots. The cake was very moist and soft and sweetened just right with the sharp tang of the lime juice giving it a zing and fabulous whiff. That's why I love these blogging events. It gets me an excuse to try different flavours that I would have been too chicken to try under normal circumstances. I was aiming to use mango here but my local supermarket ran out of the dried stuff. Though, I think apricot did just fine and pineapple would have been great, too.



Apricot Lime Cake

125 g  [3/4 cup] chopped dried apricot or mango or pineapple (reserve a few pieces)
125 g  [1/2 cup] natural yoghurt or sour cream
1/2 cup sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
175 g  [1/2 + 1/3 cup] golden caster sugar (superfine)
175 g  [1 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp] plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs - beaten
zest and juice of 1 lime
100 g  [3/4 cup] icing sugar (confectioner's)
25 g  [1/3 cup] dessicated coconut (may be sweetened)
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease a 2 lb (9 x 5-inch) loaf pan.
  2. In a container, sift flour and baking powder. Combine well and set aside.
  3. In a bowl, combine sunflower oil and sugar with a whisk.
  4. Add in lime zest, lime juice, eggs, yoghurt and apricots. Mix well.
  5. Stir in the flour mixture and beat until smooth.
  6. Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake in oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  7. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Turn out in a rack and cool completely.

*For the icing and toppings:
  1. Add just enough lime juice to the icing sugar to have a thick but slightly runny icing.
  2. Spread on top of the cake and sprinkle dessicated coconut and reserved apricots.

No comments: